Thursday 13 June 2013

Making Choices: What job is for me? How do I get there?

What Job is Right for Me?

Do I choose something outside of the box, but I know I would really enjoy? Or do I choose something which will help me in the long term?

This is a question I have personally struggled with. One of my real passions is horses, and I was conflicted whether to go and work with them for a year, or whether I should follow my dad's advice and my common sense and pursue a job like being a paralegal. 

I recently had the opportunity to work at a stables with a top competitive rider- a really great chance to work with some great horses. I was offered a trial, and duly went along. However, what I thought would be my perfect job ended up being of low pay, long hours and caravan accommodation with strangers. I just knew I couldn't be happy in that sort of lifestyle. I know many people would love to have the opportunity, but it was certainly not for me. 

Whilst the trial was not necessarily enjoyable it made me realise that I want something different from life, and in reality what I thought was a perfect opportunity was not only not the job for me but would also not put me in a good position to further my career.

Advice No 1: Make sure you are making the right decisions for the right reasons. If you are unsure, give something a go to make sure. This could be a trial, like me, or volunteering or work experience/work shadowing. 

So it looks like it was decided! I need a job which would look better on my CV, and one which would keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed (though that doesn't say too much seeming as I have been a student for 3 years!).

So what is the plan of action when I know roughly where I'm going?

Well I guess this is somewhat of a personal preference. But this is a rough step by step of how I'm planning my strategy!


  • Have some sort of income coming in all the time
It is MUCH MUCH better to go from one employment to another, rather than from doing nothing. It is good to break the student stereotype that we lounge around and do nothing; and employers should appreciate this. Or hopefully they will!

This job can be anything really- shop, catering, receptionist! Whatever you fancy!

It is also nice to have some money that you can still have some nights out/do some shopping etc without having to rely on parents. 



  • Find where jobs are being advertised
This is a hard one for me. Whilst graduate jobs are fairly well advertised and easy to apply to (in terms of where to find application forms- not the apps themselves, god knows they are bloomin' hard!). A google search is always a good place to start. 

I also have a LinkedIn profile, though as yet I have no benefit from it, but at least it forces you to keep your CV up to date and ready to send out.

You can also use the resources of your job centre, or a recruitment agency such as Brook Street, who even if you can't find employment with may be happy to help you on your search. 

And of course, Milkround is always worth a look. I also suggest taking a look at Reed, for mostly "real-world" jobs; i.e. not targeted at graduates specifically. 

Advice No 2: Remember to keep motivated. You will not find a job if you do not look. If you get rejections, keep on going. You are bound to apply for many jobs in your lifetime and as lovely as I'm sure you are- not everyone will want you. This isn't personal. JUST KEEP GOING! 


For Further Advice...

If in any doubt check out this useful article: Guardian: 50 ways to find a new job
Not all of it will be relevant for us first-job lot, but there is certainly some good advice. 

So that's it I think for now. Quite a long one but hopefully of use!

Until the next time...

4 comments:

  1. Great blog Lizzie - well done, useful and encouraging info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia!
      Just trying to fill my days by doing something useful at least!

      Delete
  2. Good Stuff,
    great advice in the modern rat race for a TC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Had a meeting with my careers adviser today, so next post will probably be some advice from an actual qualified person! Useful!

      Delete