Wednesday 14 August 2013

Networking: Is it really that important?

I personally hate networking. I feel it is the epitome of repetitive small-talk. However, I also realise that it is vitally important not only for finding a job directly, but lessons for the future in terms of applications/conduct/interviews etc. 
By networking I mean the opportunity to meet with companies or even just a few people. This can be in a formal setting set up through a careers service, or it can be an "informal" dinner with junior company representatives. 

As much as I hate networking I have never passed up an opportunity.

That is a slight lie.


In my first year of university I was unaware of the significance of it, and didn't really have anything to do with it. This was apart from when I went to the law fair and made the cardinal sin of telling Shearman & Sterling that I had never heard of them.
INSTANT FAIL. 

However, when I started to become more career focused and also spoke to some of my residence friends I realised that putting yourself out there is something that can be really valuable.

I really started to get involved in my second and third year. I won't bore you with all of the stories but I will leave you with some hints that I have found really useful, and things that I have learned in my time.
That makes me sound old...
If you are at university, make sure you make the most of the following opportunities:
  • Careers Fairs
  • Employer Workshops and Presentations
  • Tours of offices (we had opportunities via the law society for example)
  • If you have applied for a job with an established graduate employer at a good university chances are they will invite you to a dinner or similar (I know for a fact PwC do this)

My Top Tips for Networking Success

  • Preparation is key. I know I say this for everything, but it is really so important. By preparing before you meet someone you will have a good idea of what they do, perhaps how they do it and you can equip yourself with some questions that
    a) Will be useful for you
    b) Insightful questions will make you more memorable to employers
  • Go in a pair. I find that if there is someone there that you know then it means that approaching a stranger will be much easier with some moral support. However, if you go in a bigger group than this can be a bit overwhelming and probably not of use to you, as you will find yourself stuck in a large group and you will be heard less and you will have less time to ask questions.

    If you do go in a large group, it is probably a better idea to split up into smaller ones.
  • Think about how you are coming across. This may seem a fairly obvious one but it has several topics within it.  

    1) They quite often serve alcohol at events such as this. Many of the company reps will have a glass, so by all means have ONE. But I would nurse this and stick to the soft afterwards. You don't want to be the person that makes a fool of themselves or starts slurring their words.

    2) NEVER EVER EVER EVER be a suck up. It is not attractive to anyone. Whilst it is perhaps a good idea to casually drop in that you have work experience somewhere or you have a large amount of knowledge on the latest pension case, only do so where it comes naturally into conversation, and DO NOT spend the next half an hour talking about it. Less is more in this respect. If the representative wants to hear any more about it I'm sure they will ask you.

    3) Several of my interview tips come into this. For example, only make jokes where sensible and appropriate.
  • If you get a business card it means that you have made an impression- and this does not happen too often to everyone. If you do get one, make sure you email that contact within 3 days.
    My friend at university (special shout out to Oz) told me that it is a good idea to say thank you for talking to me and also try and come up with a new question that will make you more memorable. It also invites a reply and future contact.

This article is useful- moreso for outside of university but definitely worth a read:

I'm sure that is probably all you can cope with today. I've had enough! I hope these are helpful, and believe me networking is important. So if you are still at university make the most of the opportunities presented to you, as they are much easier to come by in that environment. 




3 comments:

  1. Another brilliant blog Lizzy. Absolutely love your posts, really good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. Always nice to get compliments from strangers ;) haha

      Delete
    2. I know right :P
      well I always read your posts, thought I ought to comment!

      Delete