Friday 2 August 2013

The Dark Side of the Internet

Welcome Internet Friends...

And that is what this post is all about today. The internet. I was unsure what to write about today. I had an idea before I came home from errand running, but this was immediately changed when I came home and checked my YouTube account. 

I came home to this:



Which I actually found extremely upsetting. Which lead to the topic of using the internet. Maybe it is an overdone topic? But hey, nothing wrong with a bit of cliche. 

Essentially the back-story is that I left a slightly controversial comment that I wished Jessie J hadn't talked through the performance. If you know me you will know I have some thoughts on Jessie J, but I certainly don't think my comment justified such a gender loaded, disgusting and personal insult. 

The internet is a wonderful thing...

We all know this and requires no further explanation. However, it can also be a very ugly and very hurtful place. 

Because the arena of social media can be so faceless, people are much more willing to say things that perhaps otherwise they would not. I don't think I am personally guilty of that but I can understand it is so easy to do. 
You can see it everyday with Facebook statuses which outline an event in their life which is clearly loaded to be targeted at one particular person. Whilst this person may not be named, it is clear who this person is. 

If I have learned anything...

It is that I myself need to use the internet more carefully. I have my Facebook profile blocked and only have "Friends" who I actually count as friends, I monitor what I put on Twitter and Instagram- so there is nothing on there I would be unhappy for my family or any employers to see.

However, in a world where communication via the internet is so easy, and so faceless, you really need to question what you are putting out there. Do not say ANYTHING that you would not say to somebody's face. 

However, the most worrying thing is that perhaps men like the one who got in touch with me probably WOULD say that to someone's face. And that is the sad fact of life. 

Instead of leaving this post on such a low, remember social media is such a brilliant tool. I have friends all over the country and all over the world thanks to university, and social media provides me with free and easy tools with which to maintain my valued friendships. And I expect cheap trips to visit them soon (hint hint).

As always comments and feedback are always appreciated. And any suggestions for future posts are very welcomed! Especially let me know how you like my Friday posts, as they are my personal post of the week, and it slightly diverts from my regular careers-based content. 

Until Sunday, where I will deal with some sort of commercial awareness issue...

Better get watching the news then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment