Sunday 10 November 2013

Training Days: Horrifically scarring or a skills gold-mine?

In my new job I have recently undertaken my first training day. It was... quite the experience. 
Look at these fitties. 


I had a pre-conceived idea of how training days go. And to a large extent it is what you may think- incredibly cheesy and a little humiliating. The role-plays are just the worst. But I guess each to  their own on that one. 

I guess a little background would be a good place to start.

My new job involves me answering phones (for incoming calls mainly- with some outgoing). My work involves people's  money. And if I know one thing, then it is when it comes to money people can be... Difficult. 


Difficult

This was actually the theme of the training day- dealing with difficult people. And I have never really had to deal with the public before. 

This was also my first ever training day. A lot of firsts. 

So is there any point to these training days?

The main piece of advice I can give to anyone is to make sure you go into these things with
the right frame of mind. This is especially true if it turns out your course leader is possibly reminiscent of your tax law lecturer who sat down and spoke at you for two hours straight. If you go into it thinking it will be useless, you will get absolutely nothing out of it. 
Deep meaningful quotes. Yeah...

Even if the content or the leader is not the best, try and see the wood for the trees and look for the nuggets which are genuinely useful for everyday work or even everyday life. 

It is definitely true that some of the day is likely to make your skin crawl with either humiliation or cheesiness. This could be role play, or standing in a circle and sharing ideas by throwing a ball around. If you are like me 
(and probably too British for your own good) this is the stuff of nightmares. 

But do your best to get through this. If you can try and throw yourself into it you may surprise yourself. I can't guarantee anything- but give it a go.

What did I learn?

I think to be honest the stuff I learned the most from is the stuff which involved merely sitting down and hearing a string of ideas and concepts with anecdotes to support and some team-interaction. But this is always how I have learned best. 

I think quite a lot of this stuff in courses and how applicable it is will depend on your own personality, both at work and in life. Generally, these leaders know what they are talking about. So take what they say, and adjust it to you

It is easy to get stuck on a tram of sticking to what you know. But sometimes taking advice from other people can improve your work skills. 
I take inspiration from lots of people, my father (who actually works in customer service- which is delightfully convenient for me), my colleagues, the internet! 
I just like this picture.
But I guess embarrassment fits in nicely.

So all in all, it is both emotionally scarring and useful. But as I have previously implied, it is what you make of it. So make sure you go into it in the right way and you are more likely to get something useful out of it. Don't let your course leader do all the work! Put in a bit of effort yourself. Chances are you are still being paid for this day!



So until next Sunday. Enjoy your week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment